Mercedes sets sights on Silverstone, brings new upgrades after turbulence in Austria

We need to just get our act together overall. This is so far from over,” said team principal Toto Wolff

By Olivia Kairu
@KairuOlivia

Despite being behind Red Bull in the standings, Mercedes boss Toto Wolff isn’t ready to concede (Photo: Mercedes/F1)

Mercedes’ chances of claiming their eighth consecutive drivers’ and constructors’ championship seem to be thinning with every Red Bull and Max Verstappen victory.

The Dutchman’s win in Austria last Sunday extended his championship lead to 32 points, but Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff isn’t ready to concede just yet. 

“We are fighting a tough battle at the moment, against all odds as it stands,” said Wolff. “It is against the odds for us now, and that’s clear because they have an overall performance advantage. All these years I tried to keep our feet on the ground by not being carried away with performance, and now I need to do the opposite.”

Further listening: PODCAST l The Chicane Crew Podcast reviews the Austrian Grand Prix

Wolff also dismissed claims that the outfit had thrown in the towel and stood firm in the team’s decision to continue fighting for the championship. 

“There are 13 or 14 races to go, we are one DNF away from Red Bull, no more, and we’ve lost more points than we should have lost to our own mistakes. We need to just get our act together overall. This is so far from over.”

“We are not going to give up at that stage of the season. We’re not going to give up at any time of the season unless it’s not mathematically possible anymore to win this championship. Therefore, we need to see the things optimistically rather than pessimistically like we’ve done in the past, and there are things to take away, even from such a day as today.”

Read more:

Australian GP the latest 2021 season cancellation; F1 still pushing for 23-race calendar
Two more years: Hamilton agrees Mercedes contract extension: “We still have a lot to do”
FIA introduces rule change to slow pit stops down “for safety reasons”

Silverstone upgrades

Mercedes trackside engineering director Andrew Shovlin has confirmed the arrival of upgrades for Silverstone. 

“We are looking forward to Silverstone, we’ve got a good update coming there that’s quite exciting,” Shovlin explained in the team’s latest debrief video. “We’ve got a few days just to regroup, to analyze the results of those and turn around the cars and get them ready for the next race in that updated bodywork, but we are optimistic for a better weekend.”

The track-specific difficulty is believed to be a major factor in Mercedes’ underperformance in Austria, as the outfit gears up for a circuit that plays into the W12’s strong suit.

“Will Silverstone suit the car better? Well, it’s fair to say that Austria is a track that over the years, we have struggled at. It’s a difficult circuit and one that doesn’t seem to suit our car and we are trying to understand those issues,” added Shovlin.

“Silverstone on the contrary though is one that we have tended to go very well at and also Lewis really enjoys that circuit. We’ve got the sprint format to contend with, but hopefully we can put on a better showing and take the fight to Red Bull.”

The Brackley-based team’s great expectations for the race at Silverstone are backed by their recent success at the British track, where Hamilton has won six times in the last seven years.


Follow us on social media to stay up to date with our content: Instagram l Twitter l Facebook.

One thought on “Mercedes sets sights on Silverstone, brings new upgrades after turbulence in Austria

  • July 12, 2021 at 12:20 pm
    Permalink

    O campeonato esta começando ainda. As pessoas estão muito ansiosas. Temos que curtir cada corrida sem ficar preocupado se acabou ou não o campeonat. Vamos viver os momentos.

Comments are closed.